I always use the spring onions while making fried rice, I didn't know we can make a side dish with spring onions until my SIL told me so. She told that we can make spring onions dry curry similar to beans poriyal. I just wanted to add a twist to the regular dry curry by adding fried gram dhal along with the coconut mixture and the taste came out quiet different and awesome.
My grandma gave a bunch of scallions (home grown ) along with its flower when we visited her during the last weekend. Got to know from her that we can also cook the flower. This dry curry recipe with scallions is very simple and easy to make. So try making this spring onions recipe at your home as well and share your feedback in the comments section below.
Ingredients (serves for 4 )
Spring onions / scallions - 20 - 25 sticks
coconut pieces - 1 fist full
red chili - 3
fried gram dhal - 1 tablespoon
salt - as needed
cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
oil - 2 teaspoon
mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
urad dal - 1 teaspoon
curry leaves - few
- wash the spring onions (scallions) and cut into pieces [ Note: you can also cook the flower ]
- grind the coconut pieces, red chili, fried gram dhal and cumin seeds coarsely
- heat oil in a vessel and mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves
- once it splutters, add the spring onion pieces, salt
- cook covered until the scallions get cooked
- add the grounded coconut mixture and mix well
- cook for 2 mins and switch off the flame.
- Serve as a side dish for rice and gravy.
Please like to get regular updates of my posts in facebook: