When I was looking for a healthy vegetable chutney recipe in internet, I came across with this ridge gourd chutney. I made few modifications and tried this chutney at home to serve as a side dish for idli and dosa. It turned out to a tasty and yummy chutney. Ridge gourd is commonly known as peerkangai in tamil and it has plenty of health benefits. Listing few here:
- Ridge gourd is extremely rich in dietary fiber and enriched with all the vital elements that include Vit-C, Zinc, Iron, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Thiamin and traces of another minerals.
- It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories that aids in weight loss.
- Ridge gourd contains good content of cellulose and high in water content that helps to relieve from constipation and healing piles.
- It is good for skin care, as the blood purifying qualities in it ensures you to stay clear from pimples and acne.
Health benefits courtesy: healthandbloom.com
Ingredients (serves for 3)
Peerkangai / Ridge gourd - 1 medium size
onion (big size) - 1
green chili - 4
garlic - 1
oil - 3 tsp
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
urad dal - 3 tsp
curry leaves - few
salt - as needed
tamarind - 1.5 inch piece
- Peel off the sharp edges of ridge gourd skin, slit it and take out the seed part inside . cut into small pieces
- chop onion and slit the green chilies
- soak tamarind in little water
- heat 2 tsp of oil in a vessel and add 2 tsp of urad dal, chopped onion, garlic and green chilies
- fry till the onion become transparent
- add the chopped ridge gourd and sprinkle some water on it
- add salt and cook covered till the ridge gourd becomes soft and cooked
- switch off the flame and let it cool down
- once it is cooled, grind it to a fine paste along with the soaked tamarind piece
- heat 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds, 1 tsp of urad dal and curry leaves
- once it splutters, add it to the grounded chutney
- serve as a side dish for idli and dosa.
Please like to get regular updates of my posts in facebook: