|Pearl millet porridge|
Millets are healthy, easy to digest, gluten free and having a high nutritional value than wheat. Millets are great source of starch, making it a high energy food. It is also an excellent source of protein and fiber. Pearl millet is a rich source of phosphorous, which plays an important part in the structure of body cells. It helps in preventing gallstones in woman, helps in minimizing the risk of type 2 diabetes, reduces cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart attacks.
Pearl millet is commonly known as Kambu in Tamil and Bajra in Hindi. We can make plenty of recipes with millet flour. I made porridge for breakfast today as it is very easy and quick to make.
As millet has lot of health benefits, its always good to add dishes with millet to our regular diet. So lets try out this quick and easy porridge recipe with pearl millet flour. Please share your feedback in the comments section below.
Kambu maavu / Bajra flour / Pearl millet flour - 1/2 cup [ 1 cup size = 240 ml ]
small onion / pearl onions / shallots - 25 - 30 nos
green chili - 2
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
jeera / cumin seeds - 1 tsp
curry leaves - 1 sprig
asafoetida - a pinch
buttermilk - 3 cups
salt - as needed
oil - 1 tsp
water - 3 cups
water - 3 cups
- mix well bajra flour and water in a bowl using a whisk. You can also use a spoon to mix well. (There shouldn't be any lumps. mix it well)
- add salt and heat this mixture in medium flame
- stir the mixture continuously as it tends to stick to the bottom. Switch off the flame when it gets thicker. Consistency will be little thinner than idli batter.
- let it cool down. When it cools down, it forms a thick layer at the top so stir often to avoid that.
- once the mixture gets cooled down, add buttermilk. Mix well. [If you don't have buttermilk, just beat 1 cup of curd with 2 cups of water and then add it instead of buttermilk ]
- chop small onions and fine chop the green chilies
- heat oil in a vessel and add mustard seeds
- once it splutters, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida
- add chopped onions and green chili and saute it till the onions become transparent
- transfer it to the porridge and mix well
- Serve this healthy pearl millet porridge for breakfast.
Please like to get regular updates of my posts in facebook:
You might also like these breakfast recipes (click the images for recipe)